Friday, March 30, 2012

The Church

I've always been the sort of person that likes to take the way less traveled.  I'd much rather take a winding country road lined with farms and homesteads than an interstate or highway clogged with traffic and billboards.  Maybe it's because I grew up on those country back roads as our family's dairy farm was little ways away from the small, rural town that we lived by?  It's all I ever knew until I was 18 and I'm still very much that farm girl longing to get back to the country. 


In the places that I've lived since then, from big cities to smaller towns, I always enjoy finding a different way to get to where I need to go and Raleigh has been no different.  For months, I've been relying on my GPS to get me around and I'm always pleasantly surprised when it takes me off those interstates to see those North Carolina back roads.  I was driving back from shopping one rainy day, oogling over a beautiful spread of acreage with adorable black and white farmhouse, when "the church" caught my eye in an adjacent field.
I quickly turned down that dirt road to check it out and of course, fell in love.  There's just something about this neglected beauty that I was drawn to.  It's long been closed up, windows removed, and put up on blocks.  I guess it's like that old worn out piece of furniture, flea market find, old farm junk I dig out of barns...I just see potential...I see history.  When I'm re-habbing an old dresser or decorating with my finds, my mind always wanders to the previous owners, wondering what they were like and how they lived.  It's no different with this church.  Who worshiped here? Who was married here? I wonder where the congregation went and how it came to be neglected? 
Of course, my first instinct is to rescue it...just like all my other projects, but I think this one is a bit beyond my reach... 
So for now, I'll still take that back road and visit it when I can and envision what it could be...


Kristen

10 comments:

Elna said...

It's a beautiful building and it would make a great home for anyone who has money and interest to renovate it. Have a nice weekend.

Hugs
Elna

dee dee said...

It always makes me feel good to find another kindred soul! It makes me wish I live near enough for us to drive the long routes together! I love this church and like you I wonder the same things..... and like you I would want to take it home and rescue it.... A wedding chapel, a silent place of worship, a place to hold receptions, parties,celebrations... my head is swimming!
thank you so much for sharing this beauty with us! Have a wonderful weekend!
dee dee

Unknown said...

i hope that lovely building has a bright future. they don't build churches like that anymore. Perhaps someone will purchase it and turn it into a home - or even a dance studio, or art gallery. Hmm...perhaps if I lived nearby....

Sharon said...

I grew up in a big city...but my husband and I bought an old 40 acre farm when we got married...wanting a "different life". We love taking rides any chance we can slip away..on backroads..trying to see what's around the next bend. Backroads, old abandoned buildings, yard sales, fleamarkets...you never know what you might find! I love your pictures of this old church. It's sad to see so many beautiful buildings just rotting away. I've been to Raleigh but only to a used book store with my sister-in-law and nieces who all live in Fayetteville. MUCH nicer weather than we have here in Michigan!

Holly said...

What a stunning find! And such a beautiful day! It's so nice to see other parts of the country, especially the roads less traveled!
Thanks for sharing :)

Tammy said...

Beautiful Kristen..so where is this located? share it would make an awesome backdrop for photos.
tammy

Stephanie said...

What a treasure to discover!

YONKS said...

Hi,
Just found you and love your blog. I too am an etsy shop owner in the UK. I have a tumblr page which you can access from my blog. Would you mid if I used some of your images with a link to your page. You will see what I mean if you click on the tumblr link at the top of my page.

I am your newest follower and will be adding you to my "spiffing good read" list!

Nice to meet you.
Di
x

April said...

Where were you? I am pretty sure this is an old church near my house. If it is the same one I am drawn to it as well, I've also stopped to take photos. It is breathtaking in the sunset.

Unknown said...

Just scrolling through the blogging world and came across this story on the love of old country roads and this lovely old church ! I too would much rather see the sites of the rolling hills, old structures oozing with charm and have my sights on an old church to make a special stop by on the way home from our next trip to Houston.... It is an old church with tons of charm- can't wait to photograph it, look around and get a close up view ! Then, will posts a blog on it soon after.

Diana

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...